Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Slow Cooking is Green Cooking

I just loaded up our Crockpot with tonight's supper and I was wondering if crockpots would be a more energy-efficient (and thus lower-cost AND more eco-friendly) way of cooking.

Survey says: YOU BET!

I found info on ConsumerReports.com and various other consumer sites. PlanetGreen.com noted that a slow-cooker uses approximately one fifteenth (1/15) of the power of a stove or oven. Now, you will run the slow-cooker for a longer period of time, but even if you are running it 3 or 4 times longer, you will still come out waaay ahead on the energy use front.

A way to cook that is easy, saves money and uses less non-renewable resources...sounds like a winner to me!

3 comments:

Chele said...

I love my crock pot and use it year around. I especially love it in the summer because it doesn't heat up the house when cooking our dinner. Our thermostat is in the hall off the kitchen and it definitely kicks the a/c into overdrive when the oven is on.

Jules said...

Girl you guys have inspired me to get my crock pot out again! Now to go read the meat topic above to know what meat I should get! lol

You are a great educator!

Lori said...

i love knowing this. i use my toaster oven for 90% of my baking, too, which has got to be using much less energy than firing up my oven!

Labels